Friday, April 4, 2014

Mountain Music, Arts & Culture Magazine doesn't interview Justin Bieber

Location: Nederland, CO 80466, USA
Page 10 of the February Issue of MMAC Monthly
Mountain Music, Arts & Culture, or the MMAC Monthly, is a monthly magazine distributed across the Peak to Peak region from Georgetown to Estes Park with Nederland right in the middle. I like picking up a copy just to have the Event Calendar handy, but then every time I look at it, I find another article of something interesting from the region that I hadn't thought about. It's really well done for people interested in the mountain cultural scene.

The publisher also produces the official Frozen Dead Guy Days guide. You can find MMAC Monthly on-line with their Twitter and Facebook pages, and the magazine is published on issuu here.

MMAC Monthly includes a feature called "HIGH FIVE – Get to know your neighbors" where they ask five questions of people in the region.

For 2014, MMAC Monthly decided to have mayors from the Peak to Peak region answer the questions. In January, they featured Michael Hillman, Mayor of Idaho Springs. 

I am honored that they asked me to be the February issue of HIGH FIVE. I appeared on Page 10. (You can click on the images to get a larger view.)

I started thinking about how social media has given local mayors access that typically had only been for national celebrities, and that local magazines are now connecting people in regional areas like never before. So, I thought, "What if MMAC Monthly had interviewed Justin Bieber with the same questions I got?"

While social media can elevate national celebrities media attention and make record sales, I have found that social media can also bring small communities together.

We can get information out quickly during disasters, issue surveys and poll our constituents, or just provide a steady stream of information about what's going on in our community.

From a social sustainability perspective, I've included the NedSpotlight tab at the top of this blog, to highlight the people, places, and things that make Nederland locally distinctive, similar to the "HIGH FIVE, Get to know your neighbors" concept. I've invited community members to be 'guest bloggers' and contribute to it. If you would like to write about something that is distinctive to Nederland, please let me know.

[Here is a Video Valediction] It's all right there in black and white. Here is the John Butler Trio, performing Zebra at the Fox Theater in Boulder. [What is a Video Valediction?]
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...